Egg Bread Dressing Recipe
Egg bread is a rich type of corn bread. For this recipe, first you’ll make the egg bread and then you’ll use it as the key ingredient in the dressing. Serve alongside the turkey at Christmas or Thanksgiving. Top with turkey gravy and serve with a side of cranberry sauce!
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups corn meal
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 sticks melted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- Beat eggs and add buttermilk.
- Mix baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar with corn meal and beat into egg mixture.
- Add melted butter.
- Pour into greased cast iron skillet and cook at 350° until golden brown.
Egg Bread Dressing
- 1 batch of egg bread (see recipe above)
- 1 loaf fresh white bread
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 1 cup heart of celery, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup melted butter
- Broth from turkey or 2-3 cans of chicken or vegetable broth
- Saute celery and onions.
- Crumble egg bread into large pan with 3/4 to 1 loaf of white bread.
- Soften the bread with broth from the turkey or use canned broth.
- Add beaten eggs, melted butter, pepper, onions and celery.
- Add more bread and/or broth until mix is just right. (Haha!)
- Place in buttered pan and cook at 350° until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and pour 1/2 to 1 cup of broth over dressing.
- Return to cook for another 15 to 25 minutes.
For a large gathering, double everything!